Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Number of Thoroughbred Foals Decrease

An article called Florida thoroughbred foal numbers drop a steep 25.4% was very interesting. Thoroughbred horses are purebred and are known for being good race horses. They are also hot blooded which relates to their personalities, they are sensitive and energetic. These traits help with riding and that is why thoroughbred horses are best for english style riding.

The article mentions how florida has the greatest decrease in thoroughbred foal numbers which was shocking. Foals are young horses no older then a year old. I train at a farm that has about 81 horses so the idea that there is a decrease is not something that is in front of me.

The economy plays a huge role in why this is happening. The article mentions how small breeders are disappearing due to finances and that hits me. The families that depend on it as a living are being hurt.

I love the equestrian life because it is fun, the horses are great to be around, and I like to learn how to take care of them and ride english. If I depended upon this and was involved in financial problems I can not say I would know what to do.

Florida once was the second leading state when it came to foal numbers.

This is a mare and her foal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment